Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, July 10, 2016

SWISS WORDS - Kitchen cupboard

chuchichäschtli 
SWISS WORDS - WORD OF THE DAY

I was bragging the other day to Liam about the fact that I finally accomplished one of my #lifegoals which was a clean and organised kitchen cupboard. He gave me a little pat on the head and then was reminded about the famous Swiss German word for a "Kitchen cupboard".

 (photographic proof of my pantry)

The word Chuchichäschtli means kitchen cupboard but with its three hard ‘ch’ sounds, this word is almost impossible for foreigners – including High German speakers - to get their mouth around. So I have been trying hard to pronounce it and hopefully win lots of respect from my German teacher who is Swiss. But I don't know what is going to be harder: me getting the pronounciation right or me trying to discreetly make the word come up in our conversation.

No comments: